Who needs an ENG 1 or ML5?
- The Master of • a domestic seagoing passenger ship, carrying more than 12 passengers (Class VI or VI A)
- A small commercial vessel certificated for Area Category 1 or 0 (more than 60 miles from a safe haven)
- This is also valid for any of the other categories described to the right but is a more stringent standard than is legally required.
- The Master: of a passenger ship that does not go to sea (Class IV or V)
- A small commercial vessel certificated for Area Category 2 to 6 (no more than 60 miles from a safe haven)
- The master of any commercial vessel which does not go to sea
- A crew member or anyone else (eg stewards or catering staff); whose normal place of work is on board a vessel which goes to sea.
Renewing my medical certificate?
- Every year, if you have an ENG1 and are under the age of 18
- Every two years, if you have an ENG1
- Every five years, if you have an ML5 and operate at sea
- Every five years, if you have an ML5, after the age of 45 if you operate on inland waters
- Every year after the age of 65, wherever you operate, if you have an ML5
For More Information Read: MEDICAL FITNESS REQUIREMENTS for those working on domestic vessels and small commercial vessels